Inspiration in Hong Kong before leaving for the Amazon
The beginning of hybridization in Hong Kong
Before leaving Amazon, I saw many breeders who inspired me, one of them being LO WING YAT in Hong Kong, whom I didn't have the opportunity to meet even though I've been to Hong Kong several times because of the Discus fish and their breeders. Lo Wing Yat (卢永逸) is one of those remarkable references for those who appreciate exploring remote places and expedition ecotourism. Known in the Hong Kong community for his travels and meticulous documentation of natural habitats including the Amazon his work inspires precisely this spirit of adventure and respect for the natural World.
https://www.lowingyatwwff.com/journey
Lo Wing Yat
Just like Jack Wattley, in Hong Kong they also started trying to artificially reproduce discus. In the beginning it was a terrible failure, but with several experiments the results were extraordinary. Something I knew, even after reading the work of several world breeders, was that I would never be able to put into practice the project I proposed: to reproduce wild discus selected by me in the same community and with totally different phenotypes, obtaining F1 with 100% the same genetics. This is something only someone who has a company in the Amazon and chooses them one by one in each community can achieve, without even mixing them, as is happening at www.santaremdiscusplus.com. However, just like the father of artificial reproduction, Jack Wattley, according to Yo Wing, "Besides a tenfold increase in production, the process also interrupts the transmission of parasites that occurs during natural reproduction. Mass disc culture without the use of medication has become a reality."
In any case, the great mentor and creator of Discus fish, and one of the first to perform hybridization, was Dr. Eduard Schmidt-Focke.I recommend reading the page of this Discus breeder who, like all of us, started as an amateur driven by passion, eventually becoming one of the biggest Discus breeders in Hong Kong.https://www.lowingyatwwff.com/ who was one of my inspirations when I left for the Amazon.
